BIO: Jill Hathaway lives in the Des Moines area with her husband and young daughter. Having earned her BA in English Education from the University of Northern Iowa and her MA in Literature from Iowa State University, she teaches high school English and dual credit courses for Des Moines Area Community College.
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.
Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.
Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.
Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.
Hey guys. Today is author, Jill Hathaway's release day for her debut novel SLIDE. Yay!
I have a little Q&A with Jill and then a giveaway for some super shiny *signed bookmarks!
Let's get to know a little more about Jill..
1. Can you tell us what inspired you to become a writer?
J.H. I don't know that anything really INSPIRED me to do it. I just like writing and making up stories. Things just pop into my head, and one day I started writing them down!
2. How long did it take you to write SLIDE? During that time did you come across any blocks/times that you couldn’t write?
J.H. It only took me 4-6 weeks to write the rough draft, but dude, it was ROUGH. I had to completely rewrite it the summer after I signed with Sarah Davies. Then I rewrote it several more times for my editor, Donna Bray. I didn't really experience writer's block during that time.
3. What inspired you to write SLIDE?
J.H. I wanted a really great hook, and I thought it would be neat if the main character found herself standing over a dead body with no idea of what happened. The sliding evolved from that seed idea.
4. What is it that you’re exploring in this book?
J.H. In Publishers Weekly's review of SLIDE, they mention the theme of empathy. Because Vee is able to literally walk in other people's shoes, she gets to know their lives in a really intimate way. This greatly affects her world view.
5. Who is your favorite character in this book, and why?
J.H. Probably Rollins, but I won't say why. You'll have to read and find out! :)
6. Do you have a favorite story to tell about being interviewed about your book?
J.H. Nope, sorry!
7. What question are you never asked in interviews but wish you were?
J.H. I wish people asked me what my favorite cartoon as a child was. (Jem)
8. Which authors have been most influential to your own writing?
J.H. Someone once compared my writing to R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike, and I thought that was cool.
9. If you weren't writing, what would you want to be doing for a living? What are some of your other passions in life?
J.H. I'm a high school teacher during the school year. It pretty much rocks. I also like to paint pictures of shrubberies and rock out to A Perfect Circle.
10. If you could have written one book in history, what book would that be?
J.H. The Shining
11. Tell us about the biggest challenges you face in your writing process.
J.H. Right now, it's writing another book that will live up to the concept of SLIDE. It's killing me a little.
12. Please list seven random likes; then do the same for dislikes, go way random.
J.H. Likes: wiggly french fries, Jared Leto, the smell of early spring, going to the movies by myself, rainbow sprinkles, school supplies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
J.H. Dislikes: candy corn, working out, the smell of old dictionaries, boy bands, death, public speaking, the word probletunity
13. Is there anything that you’re working on that we need to be looking out for?
J.H. SLIDE's sequel, IMPOSTOR!!!
Thank you so much, Jill. Congratulations on your big day!
Thanks for having me!! <3 <3 <3
HAPPY SLIDE DAY!
Wanna read the first few chapters? Go for it. Right --> HERE!
Now for the goods. I have a few of signed bookmarks to giveaway.
Standard procedure guys. Everyone is welcome to participate.
1. One entry per person.
2. You must be 13 or older.
3. Giveaway is International.
4. Giveaway ends at 11:59 p.m. on April 7th.
Enter Giveaway --> HERE!
Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week!
Happy Reading & Arrivederci