Welcome to Andrew Smith Saturdays! Today we'll be discussing the second part of IN THE PATH OF FALLING OBJECTS. Feel free to jump in with any questions or other topics you might want to discuss from this section of the book.
In the Path of Falling Objects:
1. Okay. Matthew's letters are definitely significant. I'm not exactly sure how..yet, but I can feel it. It appears to me that with each letter, we not only get to know a little more about Matthew and the war but we can also see his state of mind being wrecked. So very sad. It's also apparent that he wants Jonah and Simon to realize what they have because Matthew knows they only have one another. Therefore I think Matthew is trying to help hold their family together from afar. Thoughts on this?
Part Two: Pages 63-129 Discussion
2. We were all pretty much on the same page about Mitch last week, right? The dude is seriously psycho. Straight from the crazy farm. I mean, WHAT THE HELL? Playing the boys against each other, threatening to kill Simon if Jonah doesn't walk the line, basically. And all the while Simon is still too doe-eyed to even notice what's happening. Maybe it's just because he's naive and is craving acceptance from a male type figure? I'm just not sure about this sitch and where it's going.
3. Lilly is not completely innocent in this entire mess. However, I still think she continues to just blow things off like they're no big deal. I haven't quite figured out what her motive is.. well, besides the fact she needs a ride to California. She also seems to have some kind of influence over Mitch. Maybe by her acting so carefree and flirtatious with Mitch she's just trying to keep him at bay...from flying off the handle and doing something really crazy? Although, I did sense some serious terror in her tone a few times as she was speaking with Jonah about Mitch. Did you all catch that?
4. Do any of you think that Lilly's intentions toward Jonah are genuine? Like, are they somehow forming some kind of bond or do you think that Lilly is still just trying to manipulate to get what she wants? And if so, what is it exactly do you think she wants from Jonah?
5. Alright. I'm just going to throw this out there. We have now the incident at the store with Chief. The scene at the bridge with Jonah. And then Simon and the rope. What. The. Fuck. What really frightens me the most is that Mitch shows no sign of remorse or regret for anything he's done except when he woke and realized what he did to Simon. I mean really? The lousy son-of-a-bitch starts crying. I'm really at a loss right now. There is no telling what might happen next and I'm really terrified for Simon, Jonah and even Lilly.
Okay. Let's talk!
There is a lot going on at this point in the book and I have absolutely no idea where things are headed. If there is something else you want to bring up and discuss, please do so. I would love to hear what you think. We will discuss Part Three next Saturday.
Don't forget to enter Adam's giveaway for a copy of STICK --> Here!
ScheduleJune: In the Path of Falling Objects (Hosted by Lady Reader’s Bookstuff)
- 6/2: Part One: Pages 2-62
- 6/9: Part Two: Pages 63-129
- 6/16: Part Three: Pages 130-195
- 6/23: Part Four: Pages 196-267
- 6/30: Part Five: Pages 268-323
- 7/7: First (Part 1): Pages 2-59
- 7/14: First (Part 2): Pages 60-103
- 7/21: Next (Part 1): Pages 107-216
- 7/28: Next (Part 2): Pages 216-292
- 8/4: Chapter 1 - 8
- 8/11: Chapter 9 - 15
- 8/18: Chapter 16 - 22
- 8/25: Chapter 23 - 29
- 9/8: Part One: The Amethyst Hour, Chapters 1-17
- 9/15: Part Two: The Strange Boys, Chapters 18-30
- 9/22: Part Three: Blackpool, Chapters 21-42
- 9/29: Part Four: Chapters 43-48
- 10/6: Part Five: Seth, Chapters 49-59
You must register for this event and participate in order to be eligible for prizes.
Register --> Here.
Register --> Here.